Skincare is huge. We’ve dedicated an entire day of the week to it- exfoliating, moisturizing and detoxifying our skin to get it healthy and glowing. What if we told you, skincare doesn’t stop at the hairline? Extending your skin routine to your scalp, with the right products, can help keep hair shiny, strong and healthy.
Why You Need To Care For Your Scalp
- A healthy scalp = healthy, long hair.
- Product buildup and excess oils from the week clog hair follicles and can, overtime, affect the pH balance of the scalp leading to scalp irritation, dryness and flakiness.
- Clogged hair follicles can also lead to hair loss or thinning.
How To Care For Your Scalp
Exfoliate your scalp regularly, 1-2x per week, with a scalp scrub which will help remove dead skin cells, excess oils and product buildup. Try Low Key Cleansing Walnut Scalp Scrub for an ultra-refreshing treatment with natural salt-free exfoliants.
Just like your skin type, scalps can range from dry to normal and normal to oily. Every skin type can use an exfoliant to revitalize the skin. The same applies to your scalp.
One thing you’ll want to keep in mind is the moisture and hydration you provide your scalp during and after your scrub if you have a dry to itchy scalp-
- Use a scalp treatment (try Trust Issues Instant Scalp Rebalancing Treatment) in between your washes to keep your scalp hydrated. Trust Issues erases buildup from dry shampoo and clarifies the scalp, providing instant relief from scalp irritation.
- Use a hydrating cleanser at least 1x per week to cleanse and hydrate the scalp. Check out Smoke & Mirrors, an intensely hydrating 2 in 1 formula that uses coconut oil to cleanse & moisturize.
How To Use A Scalp Scrub
We get it. A scrub may not be easiest thing to work through your hair but these few tips can help you save some product and time-
- Use in shower on wet hair.
- Apply a walnut-sized amount to your palm.
- Apply to scalp directly in small sections starting at the top and sides.
- Gently tip hair upside down to apply to back of scalp and massage the scrub into your scalp.
- For thicker hair combine the scrub with your regular shampoo and work into your scalp like you normally would.
What To Look For In A Scalp Scrub or Treatment
Ingredients are key when it comes to your skin and scalp. These two are a must-have when it comes to scalp care-
- Salt-Free Exfoliants: salt dries out the skin and hair. That’s why we don’t use it in our scalp scrub or texturizing spray. We use natural exfoliants in Low Key like sugar and walnut that gently exfoliates without stripping hair.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: a natural clarifier that helps rebalance the scalp and soothe irritation. You can find this ingredient in both Trust Issues and Low Key.
You also want to make sure that all your hair products are sulfate-free. Sulfates are natural irritants and cause major scalp irritation as well as strip your hair color. Luckily for you, all IGK products are sulfate-free and paraben-free.