What is dry shampoo?
Dry shampoo is a cleansing powder that soaks up oil to eliminate the greasy look and also adds volume & texture to your style. It helps extend your style and reduce the frequency that you need to wash your hair. Hair is at its weakest and most prone to breakage when wet. Use a dry shampoo to help eliminate a few washes through the week.
Are all dry shampoos the same?
No. IGK dry shampoos come in varying cleanse or powder levels because not all scalps are the same-
- 7% Powder Level: deep cleanse, for hair you thought couldn’t go another day without a wash. This will cleanse even the dirtiest hair. Try First Class Charcoal Detox Dry Shampoo
- 3% Powder Level: medium cleanse, great for refreshing 2nd day hair and to prevent oils between washes. Try Direct Flight Multi-Tasking Matcha Dry Shampoo
- 1% Powder Level: very light cleanse, best for preventing oils right after you style and to provide a little volume. Try Jet Lag Invisible Dry Shampoo
Why three formulas? People love or hate dry shampoos they've tried in the past because either the powder level is too light and doesn't eliminate enough oil for their scalp type OR the powder level is too high leaving hair more matte and textured than intended. That's why we created 3 breakthrough formulas with 3 cleansing levels.
How do you use dry shampoo?
- Shake it.
- Spray to your root in sections, using a sweeping motion. Avoid the helicopter or halo.
- IMPORTANT: Spray about 8-10 inches away from your scalp.
- Let the formula soak in for several seconds. For deeper cleansing formulas like First Class Charcoal Detox Dry Shampoo, wait 30 seconds, then massage or brush in.
NOTE: For higher powder levels, the visible powders on your hair actually cleanses and deodorizes your hair. Powders will disappear after massaging in.
How often should I use dry shampoo?
It depends on how oily your scalp is and how you want to use it (for volume & texture, light refresh, or a deep cleanse).
- Use a deep cleanse dry shampoo for oily scalps, your dirtiest hair days and after workouts. Make sure your hair is dry before applying to post-workout hair.
- If you have a normal scalp and use dry shampoo for volume & texture, use a light cleanse or medium cleanse dry shampoo after styling hair.
- If you want to extend your style between washes, apply dry shampoo before bed and in-between washes to soak up oils. Also apply right after a blowout to absorb daily oils and add a touch of volume.
- Your oil levels will determine what cleanse level of dry shampoo you will need as a style extender. Use a lightweight cleanse like Jet Lag Invisible Dry Shampoo if you have a dry scalp and looking to add a little volume + texture. Use a medium cleanse like Direct Flight Multi-Tasking Matcha Dry Shampoo for slightly oily hair and a deep cleanse like First Class Charcoal Detox Dry Shampoo for your dirtiest hair.
Last thing. Make sure you have a weekly deep cleanse & scalp treatment to remove product build up from the week to keep hair and scalp feeling healthy.